There are times when the relocation of an existing home is the preferred alternative to building a new home. There are a number of factors that play into a home's ability to be moved, whether it be the age of the building or its current condition. Regardless, all buildings require an inspection prior to it being considered for relocation.
Relocated buildings may not always be permissible on some properties due to Zoning or Development Agreement regulations or restrictions. To confirm whether or not the intended development is permitted within the proposed Zone, please Click Here to view the applicable Zoning By-Law, or contact the SIPD. Please contact the applicable Town or Municipality to confirm the existence of a Development Agreement and its associated requirements.
NOTE: Used Mobile Homes must be a minimum of 2x6 construction in order to be moved into or within the South Interlake Planning District.
NOTE: If a building is being moved from within the South Interlake Planning District and is being relocated to an area that is outside of the Planning District, a Demolition Permit from the SIPD is required prior to removal. After the building is moved, the original site must be cleaned up, i.e.: removal of old foundation, ground filled and leveled, and site made safe as to the satisfaction of the Designated Officer.
The process for relocating a Dwelling, RTM or Mobile Home to the South Interlake Planning District is as follows:
  1. Prior to moving a home, an inspection must be conducted by an SIPD inspector for a fee in accordance with the SIPD Fee Structure By-Law (Click Here for PDF). The hourly rate covers travel time, inspection time, and the time it takes to write a report. The SIPD requires a letter of authorization from the current landowner prior to booking the inspection. If a home is being relocated from a property that is more than two hours outside of the Planning District, a detailed inspection report from a Manitoba Part 9 Building Inspector that is accompanied by photos of both the inside and outside of the home may be an acceptable alternative. Please contact the SIPD office to discuss this option;

  2. An inspection report is prepared by the Inspector regarding all of the Building Code requirements and deficiencies that need to be addressed once the home has been relocated to the proposed site within the Planning District;

  3. As long as the building is deemed acceptable to move by the SIPD Inspector, and depending on where the proposed site is located, the inspection report is then presented to the applicable municipal Council where a Performance Bond amount will be determined in conjunction with a recommendation from the Building Inspector.  This amount is then to be submitted to the municipality in the form of an irrevocable Letter of Credit or such other security as may be acceptable to the municipality. Additionally, an Agreement is entered into with the municipality which will contain an undertaking of the owner paying all damages arising out of the move and any other terms and conditions as deemed necessary;

  4. After the above stages are complete, application for Building Permit may be made (see requirements listed below). Please note that the Building Permit cannot be issued until the all of the initial conditions of the Agreement have been met;

  5. For homes relocated from a site within the South Interlake Planning District: After the home is moved, the original site must be cleaned up, i.e.: removal of old foundation, ground filled and leveled, and site made safe to the satisfaction of the SIPD;

  6. Once the home has been relocated, all deficiencies noted in the report and any deficiencies noted thereafter, must be rectified in order to close the permit and receive the Construction Security Deposit refund;

  7. In order to release the Performance Bond, all noted deficiencies and any outstanding requirements in the Agreement must be satisfied within the time allotted in the Agreement and any extension thereto. Once that is done, a letter of completion will be submitted to the municipality by the Inspector and the Bond will be discharged.

All mobile homes shall conform in all respects to the CAN/CSA-Z240 MH Series of Standards and shall be complete structurally with the entire plumbing, electrical and heating services installed. They are heat recovery ventilator (HRV) exempt.

The following information shall be marked in English in a permanent and readily visible manner in the interior of the mobile home:
  • CSA number or Manitoba Department of Labour certificate number;
  • Manufacturer’s name and address;
  • Model;
  • Serial number;
  • Year of manufacture;
  • Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR);
  • Ground snow load and roof design snow load;
  • Principal Heat Source;
  • Make & Model of Hot Water Tank.
Click Here to apply online through Cloudpermit. Click Here to find out more information about Cloudpermit.

Relocated Dwelling, RTM or Mobile Home Building Permit applications must include:
  • Completed application form (required for paper applications) (Click Here for PDF);
  • Detailed Site Plan (Click for PDF) and Floor Plan with all rooms labeled;
  • CSA number, Year, Make, Model (Mobile Home only);
  • Accurate foundation plan in compliance with CAN/CSA-Z240 MH Series of Standards, or designed by a Professional Engineer (registered in the Province of Manitoba);
  • Letter of authorization is required if you are applying on behalf of the landowner (Click Here for PDF);
  • Status of Title(s) for all land subject to the application. The Status of Title(s) cannot be more than 30 days old. The Status of Title(s) can by acquired from your lawyer, the Winnipeg Land Titles Office (Teranet Manitoba), or by purchasing them directly from the SIPD office (Click Here for PDF). Additionally, a letter from your lawyer may be required if the property is in the process of being transferred to your name;
  • Lot grade and driveway/culvert permits (processed by the municipality);
  • Total construction value (i.e., final project costs including all material and labour);
  • Sewer and water connection fees (processed by the municipality). Please contact Manitoba Conservation and Climate regarding requirements for a proposed septic tank and/or well if municipal services are not available;
  • Application Review Fee and/or Development Permit Fee. Additional Permit Fees and Construction Security Deposit are required (as applicable) in accordance with the SIPD’s Fee Structure By-Law prior to permit issuance (Click Here for PDF);
  • It is the responsibility of the applicant / owner to satisfy or adhere to any Development Agreement requirements that may pertain to the property. Some requirements may need to be fulfilled prior to the SIPD’s issuance of permits.

Electrical Permits are obtained through Manitoba Hydro.
If the proposed development is located adjacent to a Provincial Road or Highway, an additional permit may be required from the Province (Manitoba Infrastructure) when applying for a permit from the SIPD.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted.