Landowners constructing or erecting a permanent or temporary accessory building or structure on their commercial property are required to obtain a Building Permit. Please note that used/relocated accessory buildings may require inspection and/or additional approvals prior to being moved.

The following sizes of accessory buildings do not require a Building Permit:

  • Town of Stonewall: 120 square feet or less in floor area;
  • Town of Teulon: 120 square feet or less in floor area and under 10 feet in height;
  • R.M. of Rockwood: 120 square feet or less in floor area and under 15 feet in height; and
  • R.M. of Rosser: 120 square feet or less in floor area and under 15 feet in height.
NOTE: In no instance shall an accessory building be placed or constructed on a property prior to a principal building. However, you are able to apply for an accessory building and principal building concurrently.
For unmodified sea cans/shipping containers used for storage, please visit our Development Permit page by Clicking Here.
If the proposed project is located within R.M. of Rosser CentrePort, please Click Here to visit our CentrePort Canada page, as application requirements differ for the CentrePort area.

To confirm whether or not the intended development is permitted within the proposed zone, please Click Here to view the applicable Zoning By-Law, or contact the SIPD.
Click Here to apply online through Cloudpermit. Click Here to find out more information about Cloudpermit.

Building Permits applications for Accessory Buildings and Structures must include:
  • Completed application form (required for paper applications) (Click Here for PDF);
  • Detailed site plan (Click Here for PDF);
  • Letter of Intent regarding the intended use of the accessory building; 
  • One (1) legible PDF copy of building plans (architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical, as applicable) that are signed and sealed by a Manitoba Licensed Professional Engineer (if required) and dated within one year of the complete application date (a paper copy of the plans may also be requested, depending on the project). If there is no PDF available, two (2) legible paper copies that are drawn and printed to scale are required.
  • Letters of Assurance (if applicable) from all design professionals involved, including responsibility for Manitoba Energy Code for Buildings (MECB) (Template - Click Here for PDF). All Letters of Assurance must be followed with Letters of Certification and/or Occupancy upon project completion (Letter Format - Click Here for PDF (must be provided on Engineer/Architect company letterhead - only copy the section(s) that apply));
  • Letter of authorization is required if you are applying on behalf of the landowner (Click Here for PDF);
  • Status of Title(s) for all land subject to the application. The Status of Title(s) cannot be more than 30 days old. The Status of Title(s) can by acquired from your lawyer, the Winnipeg Land Titles Office (Teranet Manitoba), or by purchasing them directly from the SIPD office (Click Here for PDF). Additionally, a letter from your lawyer may be required if the property is in the process of being transferred to your name;
  • Total construction value (i.e., final project costs including all material and labour);
  • Application Review Fee and/or Development Permit Fee. Additional Permit Fees and Construction Security Deposit are required (as applicable) in accordance with the SIPD’s Fee Structure By-Law (Click Here for PDF) prior to permit issuance.
  • It is the responsibility of the applicant / owner to satisfy or adhere to any Development Agreement requirements that may pertain to the property. Some requirements may need to be fulfilled prior to the SIPD’s issuance of permits.

Electrical Permits are obtained through Manitoba Hydro.

If the proposed development is located adjacent to a Provincial Road or Highway, an additional permit may be required from the Province (Manitoba Infrastructure) when applying for a permit from the SIPD.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted.