No development may take place in the South Interlake Planning District (SIPD) unless a Development Permit has been issued by the SIPD Development Officer in accordance with the applicable Zoning By-Law. Specifically, issuance of the Development Permit confirms all applicable zoning regulations have been met for a given project, including most types of construction, changes to land use, home based businesses, temporary uses and structures, and signs.

**If the proposed project is located within R.M. of Rosser CentrePort, please Click Here to visit our CentrePort Canada page for additional application requirements.**

A Development Permit is required prior to the issuance of most Building Permits, however, Development and Building Permits are normally applied for concurrently. The applicable Zoning By-Law establishes certain types of development that do not require a Development Permit. To confirm if a Development Permit is required for your project, please contact the SIPD office directly.
If you are wanting to use unmodified sea cans/shipping containers for storage on your property, a Development Permit is required. However, please contact the SIPD office first in order to determine whether or not sea cans/shipping containers are permitted in your zone and what the applicable regulations are prior to applying.
There are three types of Development Permits: Residential, Commercial and Agricultural.
Click Here to apply online through Cloudpermit. Click Here to find out more information about Cloudpermit.
Applications for Development Permits that are not associated with Building Permit applications must include:
  • Completed application form (required for paper applications) (Click Here for PDF);
  • Detailed Letter of Intent stating the proposed use of the land, building or structure (Click Here for PDF);
  • Detailed Site Plan (Residential - Click Here for PDF, Commercial/Industrial - Click Here for PDF, Agricultural - Click Here for PDF) and/or Floor Plan;
  • Letter of authorization is required if you are applying on behalf of the landowner (Click Here for PDF);
  • Development Permit Fee in accordance with the SIPD’s Fee Structure By-Law (Click Here for PDF);
  • In addition to the above, Agricultural Development Permits for Buildings and Structures under 600 square meters also require:
    • Letter of intent should state if there will be any change to the amount of livestock kept on the land, what type of farming operation is existing or proposed, and exactly what is being stored in the proposed building or what it is being used for;
    • Status of Title(s) for all land subject to the application. The Status of Title(s) cannot be more than 30 days old. The Status of Title(s) can by acquired from your lawyer, the Winnipeg Land Titles Office (Teranet Manitoba), or by purchasing them directly from the SIPD office.
NOTE: Agricultural Buildings and Structures that are over 600 square meters are subject to obtaining a Part 3 Building Permit.
If the proposed development is located adjacent to a Provincial Road or Highway, an additional permit may be required from the Province (Manitoba Infrastructure) when applying for a permit from the SIPD.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted.