A building permit is required for any deck which is 2 feet or higher above average ground level, or is attached to a building or structure, or will eventually support an enclosed structure with a roof such as a sunroom. You do not require a permit for an attached, open/unenclosed deck that is 50 square feet or less, as this is considered a "landing".
Please note that shade structures (such as pergolas) that are built on, or attached to, a deck or building require a Building Permit. 

For open, unenclosed decks, please refer to SIPD’s Non-Sheltered Wood Decks Booklet for guidance (Click Here for PDF).

For code requirements for wheelchair ramps, Please Click Here.

For more information on wheelchair accessibility, please contact:
Manitoba Possible (formerly Society for Manitobans with Disabilities)
Address: 825 Sherbrook St, Winnipeg, MB R3A 1M5
Phone: (204) 975-3010

For 4-Season/All-Season Sunrooms, please refer to New Homes and Additions.
Click Here to apply online through Cloudpermit. Click Here to find out more information about Cloudpermit.

Building Permit applications for decks / 3-season sunrooms / wheelchair ramps must include:
  • Completed application form (required for paper applications) (Click Here for PDF);
  • Detailed site plan (Click here for PDF);
  • One (1) legible PDF copy of building plans (a paper copy of the plans may also be requested, depending on the project). If there is no PDF available, two (2) legible paper copies that are drawn and printed to scale are required (only one (1) paper copy is required if the plans are printed on paper that is 11" x 17" or smaller). Plans are to be drawn to a minimum scale of 1:250 or 1/8” = 1’. If the deck has a roof then the plans must be signed and sealed by a Manitoba Licensed Professional Engineer (dated within one year of the complete application date);
  • When building a sunroom on an existing deck, SIPD requires a letter from a Manitoba Licensed Professional Engineer stating that the current structure is sufficient to support the new installation, or indicating any alterations that must be made in order to ensure compliance with Manitoba Building Code;
  • Building drawings must include the following: one (1) top view drawing; one (1) side elevation drawing; and labeled with the following details: pad size, or, type of pilings or pier size (if using screw piles, list the Manufacturer, Length and Baring Capacity) as well as details regarding the attachment of the ledger board to the building and details of the roof attachment to the building (if any); height of deck from ground; beam size and spacing; joist size and spacing; cantilever measurements for beams and joists; decking material; guardrail height; location, width, handrails and guard details for the stairs; and details on latchable gate if the deck is next to the pool; ramp slope, width and length for wheelchair ramp;
  • Letter of authorization is required if you are applying on behalf of the landowner (Click Here for PDF);
  • Status of Title(s) for all land subject to the application. The Status of Title(s) cannot be more than 30 days old. The Status of Title(s) can by acquired from your lawyer, the Winnipeg Land Titles Office (Teranet Manitoba), or by purchasing them directly from the SIPD office (Click Here for PDF). Additionally, a letter from your lawyer may be required if the property is in the process of being transferred to your name;
  • Total construction value (i.e., final project costs including all material and labour);
  • Application Review Fee and/or Development Permit Fee. Additional Permit Fees and Construction Security Deposit are required (as applicable) in accordance with the SIPD’s Fee Structure By-Law prior to permit issuance (Click Here for PDF).

NOTE: In your application, please indicate any future intention of covering or enclosing the deck or placing a hot tub on it, as this will trigger different Building Code requirements. 
Electrical Permits are obtained through Manitoba Hydro.
If the proposed development is located adjacent to a Provincial Road or Highway, an additional permit may be required from the Province (Manitoba Infrastructure) when applying for a permit from the SIPD.

Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted.