All permits related to commercial, multi-family, and industrial buildings falling under Part 9 of the Manitoba Building Code must be obtained from our office. Part 9 Buildings are three storeys or less, have a building area less than 600 square metres, and have major occupancies classified as Group C (residential), Group D (office / service), Group E (retail), or Group F-2, F-3 (medium- and low-hazard industrial).

Compliance to the Manitoba Building Code is mandatory. Any waiver of a Code requirement is not permitted, however, alternatives that meet the level of performance required by the Code may be permitted.

Building plans are required to be drawn to scale. They must also indicate the nature and extent of work or proposed occupancy in sufficient detail to establish that, when completed, the proposed occupancy will conform to the Code. In order for the SIPD to issue a permit in a timely manner, it is important that proper information and documents be submitted at the time of the application. If information is missing or if Code deficiencies are noted, these issues should be addressed as quickly as possible so that the issuance of the permit is not unduly delayed. An application for a permit does not mean that you are entitled to a permit or that a permit will be issued. Only through a demonstrated compliance to the Building Code and to all other applicable regulations will a permit be issued. 
If the proposed project is located within R.M. of Rosser CentrePort, please Click Here to visit our CentrePort Canada page, as application requirements differ for the CentrePort area.
To confirm whether or not the intended development is permitted within the proposed zone, please Click Here to view the applicable Zoning By-Law, or contact the SIPD.

Plans submitted for an application to build shall include:

1. Status or Certificate of Title:

A current copy (within 30 days) of the Status or Certificate of Title must be submitted (Click Here for PDF). Where there has been a recent change of ownership, a signed letter is required from your lawyer stating who the purchaser and seller are and that the purchase documents have been forwarded to the Land Titles office for registration. (not required for interior renovations)

2. Site Plan including:

a) All buildings and dimensions of all building
b) Distances from building to building and to property lines
c) Parking, loading, and fence details, etc.
d) North arrow for building orientation
e) Street and lane locations, including access routes for firefighting
f) Location of fire hydrants and sprinkler connection, catch basins, etc.
^not required for interior renovations

3. Architectural drawings including:

a) Depending on the complexity of the project: Sealed, signed and dated by an Architect. For F occupancies - Architect or Professional Engineer are permitted
b) Building design summary
c) Building area (new & existing), building height and location of firewall
d) Floor layout(s)
e) Building elevations
f) Building section details
g) Building wall details, including fire test assembly reference, flame-spread rating
h) Stair, guard and handrail details
i) Door schedule, including size, rating and hardware

4. Structural drawings including:

a) Sealed, signed and dated by P. Eng.
b) Foundation, floor(s), roof plans
c) Structural details
d) Design loads, including snow, dead, live & wind loads
e) General notes, including soil conditions, material standard references; concrete, wood, steel
f) Site Specific Geotechnical Report, if applicable

5. Mechanical drawings including:

a) Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning details
b) Fire dampers/fire stop flaps, etc.
c) Make up air and exhaust
6. Electrical drawings (if required):

a) Depending on the complexity of the project: Sealed, signed and dated by P. Eng.

Click Here to apply online through Cloudpermit. Click Here to find out more information about Cloudpermit.
Applications for Building Permits for Part 9 buildings or additions shall include:
  • Completed application form (required for paper applications) (Click Here for PDF);
  • Detailed site plan (Click Here for PDF) (not required for interior renovations) or Floor Plan for Interior Renovations / Tenant Development;
  • Detailed letter of intent (Guide - Click Here for PDF(not required for interior renovations unless there is a change of use) Please be sure to include the tenant's legal name and trade name, as applicable;
  • Detailed Scope of Work (for renovations/repairs);
  • One (1) legible PDF copy of building plans that are signed and sealed by a Manitoba Licensed Professional Engineer and dated within one year of the complete application date (a paper copy of the plans may also be requested, depending on the project). If there is no PDF available, two (2) legible paper copies that are drawn and printed to scale are required. Minimum paper size of 36" x 24". Plans are to be drawn to a minimum scale of 1:250 or 1/8” = 1’;
  • Manitoba Building Code analysis (if applicable);
  • Letters of Assurance (if applicable) from all design professionals involved, including responsibility for Manitoba Energy Code for Buildings (MECB) (Template - Click Here for PDF). All Letters of Assurance must be followed with Letters of Certification and/or Occupancy upon project completion (Letter Format - Click Here for PDF (must be provided on Engineer/Architect company letterhead - only copy the section(s) that apply));
  • Letter of authorization is required if you are applying on behalf of the landowner (Template - Click Here for PDF);
  • Status of Title(s) for all land subject to the application (not required for interior renovations). The Status of Title(s) cannot be more than 30 days old. The Status of Title(s) can by acquired from your lawyer, the Winnipeg Land Titles Office (Teranet Manitoba), or by purchasing them directly from the SIPD office (Click Here for PDF). Additionally, a letter from your lawyer may be required if the property is in the process of being transferred to your name;
  • Lot grade and driveway/culvert permits (if there's no existing lot grade or access)(processed by the municipality)(not required for interior renovations). SIPD requires a copy of the Lot Grade and Drainage Plan;
  • Sewer and water connection fees (processed by the municipality). Please contact Manitoba Conservation and Climate regarding requirements for a proposed septic tank and/or well if municipal services are not available;
  • Total construction value (i.e., final project costs including all material and labour);
  • Application Review Fee and/or Development Permit Fee. Additional Permit Fees and Construction Security Deposit are required (as applicable) in accordance with the SIPD’s Fee Structure By-Law prior to permit issuance (Click Here for PDF);
  • It is the responsibility of the applicant / owner to satisfy or adhere to any Development Agreement requirements that may pertain to the property. Some requirements may need to be fulfilled prior to the SIPD’s issuance of permits.
Electrical Permits are obtained through Manitoba Hydro.
If the proposed development is located adjacent to a Provincial Road or Highway, an additional permit may be required from the Province (Manitoba Infrastructure) when applying for a permit from the SIPD.

Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted.