Amendments to the Zoning By-Law are sometimes required to enable a particular development that is otherwise not permitted on a given property, or to update or modify a Zoning By-Law regulation(s). 

Map amendments – commonly referred to as rezonings – are required in order to change the zoning of a particular property. An example of this would be changing the zoning of a property from residential to commercial to allow a business to be developed on said property. 

Proposed rezonings must demonstrate consistency with the planning policies and land use designations outlined in the South Interlake Planning District (SIPD)Development Plan. If a conflict exists with the planning policies and land use designations of the SIPD Development Plan, map and/or text amendments to the Development Plan may also be required. 


The municipal Council must adopt a Zoning By-Law amendment by-law for an amendment (map or text) to be approved and in effect. The amendment process requires a public hearing and three readings of the amending by-law. Appeals concerning Zoning By-Law amendments are heard by The Municipal Board. Due to the statutory steps required, a Zoning By-Law amendment can take four or more months to complete from the date of application. 

For a flow chart of the Zoning By-Law amendment process, please Click Here.


Prior to submitting a Zoning By-Law amendment application to the SIPD, it is strongly recommended that you contact the SIPD first to discuss your proposal.

To initiate a Zoning By-Law amendment application, the following application requirements must be submitted to the SIPD: 
  • Completed application form (Click here for PDF);
  • Detailed letter of intent (Click here for PDF);
  • Detailed site plan (if applicable) (Click here for PDF);
  • Detailed building elevation drawings (if applicable);
  • Status of Title(s) for all land subject to the application. The Status of Title(s) cannot be more than 30 days old; 
  • Fees in accordance with the SIPD’s Fee Structure By-Law (Click here for PDF).
Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted.