Residents placing a pool or hot tub on their property are required to obtain a Building Permit. Whether the pool or hot tub is temporary or permanent, in-ground or above ground, if it can hold (2) feet of water or more, a Building Permit is required, this rule also applies to ponds.

Manitoba Building Code requirements regarding pools, hot tubs and enclosures are provided in the following link (Click Here for PDF).
We highly recommend that you do NOT install your concrete or gravel pad prior to obtaining your permit, as you may need to either relocate it or obtain a variance if it is a location that does not comply with the Zoning By-law.

Building Permits for pools and hot tubs must include:
  • Completed application form (Click Here for PDF). See our Permit Application Guide (Click Here for PDF) for a description of the fields on the application and an overview of the information that is required;
  • Detailed site plan (Click Here for PDF);
  • Plans for pool (engineered stamped plan required for in-ground pool). These plans shall include the size and height of the pool;
  • Details on fence/pool enclosure, including any self-latching or lockable devices;
  • Letter of authorization is required if you are applying on behalf of the landowner (Click Here for PDF);
  • Status of Title(s) for all land subject to the application. The Status of Title(s) cannot be more than 30 days old. The Status of Title(s) can by acquired from your lawyer, the Winnipeg Land Titles Office (Teranet Manitoba), or by purchasing them directly from the SIPD office (Click Here for PDF). Additionally, a letter from your lawyer may be required if the property is in the process of being transferred to your name;
  • Total construction value (i.e., final project costs including all material and labour);
  • Fees in accordance with the SIPD’s Fee Structure By-Law (Click here for PDF).
Electrical Permits are obtained through Manitoba Hydro. 
If the proposed development is located adjacent to a Provincial Road or Highway, an additional permit may be required from the Province (Manitoba Infrastructure) when applying for a permit from the SIPD. 
Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted.