There are two types of Solar Installation Permits: Ground-Mounted and Roof-Mounted.
Applications for Solar Installations must include:
- Completed application form (Click Here for PDF);
- Detailed site plan (Click Here for PDF) (for ground-mounted installations only);
- Each installation is site-specific. Information/specifications are
required for the Solar Panels and associated equipment as well as the proposed Foundation or
One (1) easily-readable paper copy and one (1) legible PDF copy of plans that are 11” x 17” or smaller. For plans larger than 11” x 17”, two (2) paper copies or one (1) paper copy and one (1) PDF are required. A Manitoba Licensed Professional Engineer's signature and seal dated within one year of the complete application date is required on all specifications;
- Roof-Mounted Solar Installations require a letter from a Manitoba Licensed Professional Engineer stating that the current truss system is sufficient to support the new installation, or indicating any alterations that must be made;
- Letter of authorization is required if you are applying on behalf of the landowner (Click Here for PDF);
- Status of Title(s) for all land subject to the application (for ground-mounted solar installations only). The Status of Title(s) cannot be more than 30 days old. The Status of Title(s) can by acquired from your lawyer or from the Winnipeg Land Titles Office. Additionally, a letter from your lawyer may be required if the property is in the process of being transferred to your name;
- Total construction value (i.e., final project costs including all material and labour);
- Application Review Fee and/or Development Permit Fee. Additional Permit Fees are required (as applicable) in accordance with the SIPD’s Fee Structure By-Law prior to permit issuance (Click Here for PDF);
- It is the responsibility of the applicant / owner to satisfy or adhere to any Development Agreement requirements that may pertain to the property. Some requirements may need to be fulfilled prior to the SIPD’s issuance of permits.
NOTE: After the installation is complete, in addition to scheduling and completing an inspection with the SIPD, roof-mounted solar installations require an inspection and sealed report by a Manitoba Licensed Professional Engineer which is to be submitted to the SIPD.
Electrical Permits are obtained through Manitoba Hydro.
If the proposed development is located adjacent to a Provincial Road or Highway, an additional permit may be required from the Province (Manitoba Infrastructure) when applying for a permit from the SIPD.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted.