BASEMENT DEVELOPMENTS AND INTERIOR RENOVATIONS
As the building owner, you are responsible for complying with all building requirements. A permit is required for basement development or any interior renovation for a home if the work proposed includes developing a previously unfinished basement into bedrooms, bathroom, rec room, etc., and structural or material alterations or repairs.
Building Permit applications for basement development and interior renovations must include:
- Completed application form (Click for PDF);
- Detailed floor plan / layout of everything that is existing and everything that is proposed, including bedroom window sizes as well as any plumbing hookups and/or rough-ins. All rooms are to labeled as per their intended use (e.g. - Bedroom, Bathroom, etc.);
- Heating, ventilation and exhaust air layout;
- Detailed Scope of Work (interior renovations/repairs/fire restoration);
- If structural alterations are involved, such as the altering or moving of beams, teleposts, or foundation wall/windows, then these plans must be signed and sealed by a Manitoba Licensed Professional Engineer (dated within one year of the complete application date) and must be submitted at the time of permit application;
- Letter of authorization is required if you are applying on behalf of the landowner (Click Here for PDF);
- Application Review Fee and/or Development Permit Fee. Additional Permit Fees and Construction Security Deposit are required (as applicable) in accordance with the SIPD’s Fee Structure By-Law prior to permit issuance (Click Here for PDF).
Electrical Permits are to be obtained through Manitoba Hydro.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted.