BASEMENT DEVELOPMENTS AND INTERIOR RENOVATIONS
As the building owner, you are responsible for complying with all building requirements. A permit is required for basement development or any interior renovation for a home if the work proposed includes developing a previously unfinished basement into bedrooms, bathroom, rec room, etc., and structural or material alterations or repairs.
Building Permit applications for basement development and interior renovations must include:
- Completed application form (Click for PDF). See our Permit Application Guide (Click Here for PDF) for a description of the fields on the application and an overview of the information that is required;
- Detailed floor plan / layout of everything that is existing and everything that is proposed, including bedroom window sizes as well as any plumbing hookups and/or rough-ins. All rooms are to labeled as per their intended use (e.g. - Bedroom, Bathroom, etc.);
- Heating, ventilation and exhaust air layout;
- Detailed Scope of Work (interior renovations/repairs/fire restoration);
- If structural alterations are involved, such as the altering or moving of beams, teleposts, or foundation walls/windows, then these plans must be signed and sealed by a Manitoba Licensed Professional Engineer (dated within one year of the complete application date) and must be submitted at the time of permit application. Please note that if you are applying for a Basement Development permit and new or larger windows is part of the scope of work, in addition to the Engineer-Stamped plans, you must include a separate cost for the windows/installation in your Construction Value;
- Letter of authorization is required if you are applying on behalf of the landowner (Click Here for PDF);
- Application Review Fee and/or Development Permit Fee. Additional Permit Fees and Construction Security Deposit are required (as applicable) in accordance with the SIPD’s Fee Structure By-Law prior to permit issuance (Click Here for PDF).
Electrical Permits are to be obtained through Manitoba Hydro.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted.