A Demolition Permit is required prior to demolishing or removing any building with a floor area greater than 120 ft2 (107.64 ft2 in the R.M. of Rosser) from any property located within the South Interlake Planning District (SIPD). The elimination of a building from a property affects that property's assessment and taxes. The SIPD is responsible for notifying Manitoba Assessment of all building demolitions and removals associated with a Demolition Permit issued by the SIPD.
When demolishing or removing a building, it shall be the responsibility of the applicant to ensure the following:
- Site safety is maintained as per Part 8 of the Manitoba Building Code:
Safety Measures at Construction and Demolition Sites (Click Here for PDF);
- Compliance with all applicable Municipal By-law regulations and procedures;
- All applicable Utilities are disconnected and secured;
- The area is fenced and secured during demolition and clean-up (if applicable);
- After demolition/removal, the site must be cleaned up, i.e.:
- removal of old foundation;
- ground filled and leveled;
- site made safe as to the satisfaction of the Designated Officer;
- If the building/structure is located within the Town of Stonewall, it must be removed/demolished, and site cleaned up and made safe within 90 Days of permit issuance. A 90 Day extension may be granted at the discretion of the Development Officer.
If you are planning to rebuild the building/structure you are demolishing within one year of removing it, you may combine the Demolition with your Building Permit application for no extra cost. If you are not planning to rebuild, or are rebuilding something other than what you've demolished, a separate Demolition Permit is required.
- Completed application form (Click Here for PDF) that includes the square footages of all buildings/structures to be demolished/removed. See our Permit Application Guide (Click Here for PDF) for a description of the fields on the application and an overview of the information that is required;
- Site plan showing which buildings/structures on the property are being demolished/removed, with dimensions (If all buildings are being demolished/removed, a Site Plan is not required);
- Letter of authorization is required if you are applying on behalf of the landowner (Click Here for PDF);
- Permit Fee in accordance with the SIPD’s Fee Structure By-Law (Click Here for PDF).